Should You Conduct Business Via Text Message?

As a Realtor, I believe that a critical part of my business revolves around building relationships with my clients as well as with other real estate professionals, including real estate agents, inspectors, and loan officers.  Is it possible to build business relationships via text message?

It may be possible.  However, in my opinion, it is not the best way to build strong relationships.  A real estate transaction is too important to both the buyer and the seller to rely on text messaging as the primary or sole means of communicating.  Nothing frustrates me more than when I am negotiating a deal and the other agent will not return phone calls and insists on communicating via text message.

So why do I favor a phone call over text messaging?  There are several reasons.

Phone Calls Allow the Parties to Engage More Effectively

Having a quick telephone conversation allows the parties to engage in a way that is simply not possible with text messages.  When I have a phone conversation with another real estate agent, I am able to discern important information from her tone of voice and delivery.  Does this person have a spirit of cooperation or is she taking an adversarial position?  Is this person confident or unsure of herself?  Text messages convey no information about the mood, attitude or disposition of the parties.

Phone Calls Allow for the Discussion of Complex or Important Issues

When an important or complex issues arises, a phone call allows the parties to discuss it more quickly and more clearly than a text message.  Tapping out long text messages takes way too much time and the auto-correct feature can often result in miscommunication.  The give and take aspect of a phone conversation is invaluable when dealing with important issues attendant to a real estate deal.

Phone Calls Allow the Parties to Build Trust and Rapport

When I call an agent and leave a message asking for a return phone call, it's very irritating to get a text message in response.  If I believed that a text response was sufficient, I would have asked the agent to respond via text.  It makes me wonder why the agent will not pick up the phone.  How busy could she be?  Why is she avoiding having a phone conversation?  When you refuse to have a phone conversation with a fellow real estate agent, you are missing out on an opportunity to build trust and rapport.

I love leaving a closing with the feeling that I've established a good relationship with the co-op agent by discussing the deal and working together to resolve any issues that may have arisen along the way.  When I can't even get the other real estate agent on the phone, it leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth and, oftentimes, a desire to never do business with that agent again.

The bottom line is that your colleagues and clients will take you more seriously when you take the time to have a phone conversation with them to discuss important business matters.  Never let your love of technology interfere with an opportunity to make a good impression and to demonstrate that you take your business seriously.

Comments

Popular Posts